Hello everyone, the usual mix of fiendish and impossible questions below, for a total of 150 points (I guess people might have a bit more free time than normal and so need a good long quiz). I will upload the answers here in the New Year. Good luck! Round 1: Link Round (10 points) A … Continue reading Christmas Quiz 2020
Football teams and their cities ditloids: 10 questions
Name the city and the two football teams based there from the initials. For example, WHU, A (L) would be West Ham United, Arsenal (London). Where both teams in the question have the name of the city in their team name, the initial for the city has been removed. So, for example, U, W (S) would be United, Wednesday (Sheffield). No country is represented more than once, and all continents except Australia are represented.
1. RP, BJ (BA)
2. R, C (G)
Sportsmen by sport and country: 10 questions
For each of the sportspeople below, name their sport and nationality (half a point for each). No sport is represented more than once, and all six continents are included
1. Pieter van den Hoogenband
2. Marko Arnautovic
Sport: 10 questions
1. How many pegs are on the table in a game of bar billiards?
2. Which country won the first ever football World Cup?
Sport: 10 questions
1. Which sport is played on a court 20 feet wide by 44 feet long, with a 5 feet high net in the middle?
2. Which Austrian skier is nicknamed The Hermanator?
Snooker players: Fill in the blanks (28 questions)
Fill in the blanks in the story below using the surnames of professional snooker players, past and present. There is some pretty poor wordplay in a few cases.
I had just moved to the capital, and had arranged to see my aunt Joy later that day. I moved from (1) because I didn’t like it at all; in fact, it was probably my least favourite place in all of East Yorkshire. London was so pricey though, and I had trouble making ends meet. My job is unusual, I (2)s to apiarists, but low paid, and I couldn’t even afford to live out past Mile End. You know rents are high (3) is too expensive. In the end I had to go south of the river and ended up living in (4).
Football acrostic quiz: 10 questions
The first letters of the answers to the first 9 sport questions spell out the name of a famous football player and manager. When the answer is a player, whether the first letter of the surname or first name are to be used in the acrostic is not stated.
1. What football team are known as the eternal rivals of Olympiakos?
2. Who is the only person to have scored a hat-trick in all four divisions of the English football league, the FA Cup, the League Cup and an international match (as of 2018)?
Cities from their football teams: 10 questions
Name the city in which the following professional football teams play. Where the name of the city appears in the team name, it has been removed.
1. Galatasaray, Fenerbahce, Besiktas
2. Red Star, Partizan
Sport in music: 10 questions
1. Dreadlock Holiday, by 10CC, is about a man threatened with a mugging who tries to get out of it by professing a love for which sport?
2. I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles is associated with which English football team?
Cricketers: fill in the blanks: 36 questions
Fill in the blanks below with the names of test cricketers (mostly current, but some from previous eras). All 12 current test playing nations are represented.
I stayed in my bed until he could (1) it no longer. I felt woozy since taking a blow to the (2) in the previous day’s game of cricket. Someone had thrown a (3) in my direction, and though I had tried to (4) I wasn’t fast enough, and took a blow to the head.